What You'll Need
- Coffee filter
- Washable markers
- Spray bottle of water
- Washable glue stick
- Window crayons
What to Do
- Fold a coffee filter in half. Cut on the fold line, creating two umbrella shapes.
- Decorate each umbrella with washable markers.
- Spray the umbrellas with water to blend the colors. Allow the umbrellas to dry completely.
- Use a washable glue stick to adhere the umbrellas to a window. Use a window crayon to draw an umbrella handle and some raindrops.
- Watch the sun shine through your creation.
Extend the Fun
For younger kids: Teach the saying, “April showers bring May flowers.” Make Sunny-Day Suncatchers: Instead of cutting the coffee filters in half, leave them intact to make giant flowers. Color and spray them the same way, to decorate a window. Talk about weather; make a list of favorite things to do when the weather is sunny, and when the weather is stormy.
For older kids: Make a Suncatcher Solar System, using coffee filters as the planets. Cut to size, decorate, and glue them to a mirror or window in the proper order. Use window crayons to identify each planet.